"Veterinarian" STEM Summer Camp Curriculum - Complete (5 half-day units)
Turn your summer camp into a veterinary school for kids! In this camp, kids learn all about what veterinarians do, the tools and instruments they use, and the kinds of animals they take care of. They view x-rays, explore anatomy, make models and learn how to tell whether an animal is sick -- all while learning lots of useful information about household pets, barnyard animals, zoo mammals, aquatic animals and backyard critters. Educational value: chemistry, physics, biology, zoology, creative thinking and teamwork.
This camp is especially appealing to girls, who are often hard to draw into science programs. look inside
- Immediate download upon purchase.
- Best for Ages 4-10.
- 15 hours of activities (5 units of 3 hour programming). These 3-hour units are also sold separately.
- License includes up to 5 locations/100 students (whichever is less) for one year.
- Easy to find materials; no expensive kits.
- Online training & support.
- Use for a complete week-long camp or break into smaller units. Combine with field trips and other camp activities to create a full-day camp experience.
- Turn-key curriculum:
- Detailed instructions for teaching 30+ interconnected kid-directed STEM activities
- May be customized with your own ideas to create the perfect fit
- Clearly defined learning objectives
- Scientific background & terminology for each activity
- Advice on setup, schedule, timing & transitions
- Links to recommended daily videos
- Detailed supply lists
- Preparation instructions, checklists & timeline
- Complete set of printables
- Coordinated camp games
Companion CD: Reinforce learning and entertain your kids with our Swamp Stomp Boogie album. (Also available at wholesale prices for resale within your program.)
Download our free guide: How to Start a STEM Summer Camp
Day 1: Caring for Pets
- Introduction to veterinary medicine
- Explore how dogs see
- Make a cat eye tapetum model
- Explore how dogs smell
- Make an animal hospital bed
- Learn animal first aid
- Make a first aid kit
- Examine and treat “pets” in the “animal hospital”
Day 2: Caring for Farm Animals
- Make and milk a “cow udder”
- Make glue using milk
- Explore animal anatomy
- Make "see through" eggs
- Experiment with the strength of eggs
- Learn to measure horses
- Learn to identify horse breeds
- Examine and treat “farm animals” in the “animal hospital”
Day 3: Caring for Zoo Mammals
- Play zoo mammal Pictionary
- Explore camouflage
- Stalk and balance like a big cat
- Explore the speed of land mammals
- Make a panda paw model
- Eat like a giant panda
- Explore primates
- Learn basic sign language
- Examine and treat “zoo mammals” in the “animal hospital”
Day 4: Caring for Aquarium Animals
- Explore penguins
- Make a penguin egg
- Experiment with blubber
- Measure and match sea turtles
- Make and experiment with a whale baleen model
- Learn how dolphins communicate
- Make a marine mammal rescue carrier
- Examine and treat “aquatic animals” in the “animal hospital”
Day 5: Caring for Backyard Animals
- Make a bird beak
- Play bird games
- Make a bird feeder
- Make a flying squirrel model
- Explore animal brains
- Examine and treat “backyard animals” in the “animal hospital”
By purchasing this curriculum, you are consenting to the terms of our Licensing Agreement.